The Peninsular Ag Research Station is located on Wisconsin’s geographical thumb, the Door Peninsula, with the waters of Green Bay to the west and Lake Michigan to the east. Station staff initiate fruit research and outreach efforts to support local and state fruit industries. Station research staff also coordinate projects with UW-Madison Departments, including Horticulture, Entomology, Agronomy, and Plant Pathology within the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
The Peninsular Station is home to the NRSP-6 US Potato Genebank which maintains the world’s largest collection of wild and cultivated potato species. The US Potato Genebank’s mission is to collect, classify, preserve, evaluate, and distribute nearly 5,000 samples of more than 150 potato species. The Genebank coordinates potato germplasm resources for scientists and breeders around the world.
Our Station is also the site of the “The Garden Door”, a cooperative project with the Door County Master Gardeners Association. The Garden Door is a 1 acre showcase flower and landscape garden.
Weather Reporting Capabilities
National Weather Service reporting station
Automated Weather Monitoring Stations (8)
Wisconet Pest and Disease Management
120 acres (49 hectares)
Tillable land area – 70 acres (28 hectares)
Located 2 miles north of Sturgeon Bay
Distance to Madison – 180 miles, Distance to Green Bay – 42 miles
Latitude – 44 degrees 52 min, Longitude – 87 degrees 20 min
Elevation – 700 feet (213 meters)
Address and Contact Information
Peninsular Ag Research Station
4312 State Hwy 42 North
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
The Peninsular Station serves as a field laboratory for fruit specialists. Here they develop pest control programs and conduct other research to improve yields and quality of apples, cherries, and grapes. Small grains and vegetable research are also conducted at this facility.
The Peninsular Station is also home to the NRSP-6 US Potato Genebank, which maintains the world’s largest collection of wild and cultivated potato species. The US Potato Genebank’s mission is to collect, classify, preserve, evaluate, and distribute nearly 5,000 samples of more than 150 potato species.
1922 – Original 100 acres purchased. Land was mostly undeveloped with a few small outbuildings.
1923 – Dr. E. J. Delwiche was named Station Superintendent. Very limited research in dairying carried out (3 cows). Delwiche conducted small grain and pea breeding programs. Dr. R. H. Roberts, U.W. horticulturist, initiated fruit research.
1925 to 1930 – Dr. C. L. Fluhe-entomologist, Dr. G. W. Keitt-plant pathologist, and Dr. R. H. Roberts pioneered fruit research program at station.
1946 – Dr. F. A. Gilbert was named Superintendent and facilities were expanded for extensive fruit research program.
1950 – USDA Potato Introduction Center added to station program with Dr. R. W. Hougas named as Project Leader.
1950 to 1955 – Extensive greenhouse facilities added to station.
1959 – Irrigation well drilled at station for high capacity pumping capabilities.
1963 – Additional 20 acres of land acquired increasing total acreage to 120.
1970 to 1979 – Dr. F. A. Gilbert released three strawberry cultivars and one apple cultivar from station breeding program.
1982 – Dr. F. A. Gilbert retired as Superintendent. Richard Weidman named new Superintendent.
1982 – Present irrigation capacity doubled. Large building addition added to Potato Introduction Project along with increased staff. Large combination storage and meeting room building erected.
1991 – Matt Stasiak hired as Assistant Researcher.
1998 – Automated weather monitoring network installation complete in the counties of Door and Kewaunee.
2011 – (6) new Enviro-Weather monitoring stations installed.
2011 – Richard Weidman retired as Superintendent December 30, 2011.
2012 – Matt Stasiak becomes the Station Superintendent.
2016 – (2) additional weather monitoring stations installed in Door and Kewaunee Counties
2019 – Matt Stasiak retired as Station Superintendent April 2019.
2020 – Rebecca Wiepz named as Station Superintendent June 1, 2020